Tuesday, March 23, 2010

10 Way to Encourage Reading With Your Little One

I am NOT an expert when it comes to early literacy (yes, I do have a degree in Early Childhood Educations so, I'm not completely ignorant either...) but I have had several people ask me recently what types of things I do to encourage reading. I have two little book worms. Here are some thoughts:

1. Start them young. We have been reading to the boys since they were infants.

2. Make books an option. We keep a basket of books out at all times. The basket also has two little chairs next to it creating a little reading area for the boys. I rotate the books in the basket so that they don't get bored with them. We also keep books in the diaper bag and car. The boys go to books often during the day. The little girl I babysit for (she is nearly one) is starting to flip through them a lot too!

3. Take advantage of your library. We go to our local library at least once a week for story time or to check out books. Our library also has a phone number you can call to have a short story read to you over the phone. Introduce your child to the librarian, let them ride the elevator there, eat a snack there, let them help you pick out, check out and return books, have a special library bag...

4. Have age appropriate books. Soft books with bright colors for infants. Touch and feel, lift the flap, colorful pictures board books for young toddlers. Short sentences and repetition for older toddlers. More text and plot development with stories they can relate to for preschoolers (and keep the younger level books out too so that they can read them on their own.) For more on this subject go here.

5. Make books interactive. Flannel boards, tumble books (try accessing it through your local libraries site for free or, my local library for free), audio books in the car, act out a favorite story, sing stories like "The Itsy Bitsy Spider", dvd's or you tube videos of favorite books, Tag Reader toy, etc.

6. Let your kids see you reading. I've always loved to read so does my Mom and her Mom and her Mom and... Kids watch what you do and value what you do. If they see you reading they will likely think it is an important thing to do. (Same with eating your veggies, exercising, etc.)

7. D.E.A.R. - Drop Everything and Read! Provide quiet time during the day for reading. Sam and I often read by ourselves in the afternoon while Ray naps.

8. Read aloud. Obvious right? But are you reading it in a fun way? Do you change your voice for different characters? Do you knock on the table when the wolf comes to the door? Do you stretch and yawn when the character gets sleepy? Here are some more thoughts on reading aloud.

9. Books make great gifts! Reward your child with a trip to the bookstore. Ask for books for holiday and birthday gifts. Sign the inside of the cover with a special message. Sam loves his copy of "Green Eggs and Ham" because it has his name throughout the story and a special message from his Papa on the inside that says, "I will eat green eggs and ham with you any day Sam!" Books that come from loved ones will be loved! (Check out used book stores, discount stores like TJ Max, garage sales, thrift stores, dollar stores or the dollar section of Target for cheaper options or, host a book swap with friends!)

10. More than just books. Newspapers, magazines (we really like Highlights High Five), comics, maps (just got a USA map at the dollar store!), globes (just got a globe at Target for $15!), puzzles, photo albums, catalogs, junk mail, coupons, etc. make great (and often free) reading material.

11. How do you encourage reading with your kids?

Happy Reading!

P.S. Ms. Margo at our library would be disappointed if I didn't mention Nursery Rhymes again. There are lots of studies done on nursery rhymes and learning to read. The kids that know the simple rhymes had a more extensive vocabulary (nimble, contrary, tuffet, etc.) and were able to rhyme words easier than those that didn't. Here's a link to the 12 page article if you are interested.

(Have a question or subject matter you want to hear my opinion on? Let me know and maybe I'll write about it.)

1 comment:

  1. When Miss Animal Rights was a toddler she was fussing when I was reading the newspaper. She got in my lap and I just started reading out-loud what story I was reading. Not the some car, murder story but something from the home-style section.
    Of course I read it like it was a kids story and she loved it. So I would read stuff with her all the time so I could read and she was happy.
    She felt so grown up when I took her to get her very own library card. She started to ask to go to the library to look for books.
    Now she loves to read and she is 23..... Smart young woman....

    ReplyDelete

What do you say?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails