Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Compost in a Can (part 1 of 2)

Compost in a Can, it was put there by a man (woman)... Millions of compostable items, compostable items for free...

When I came up with the title for this blog it reminded me of the song "Peaches" by The Presidents of the United States of America. Hopefully I'm not the only one that remembers that song. It really rocked the charts!

Anyways, I have been wanting to get a compost system going for a while now. I did a lot of research on the Internet and decided that a bin made out of a garbage can would work best for us right now. It's a manageable size, the animals (possums, cats, toddlers, etc.) won't dig in it, it is contained, cheap and easy to make, and it's a good starter system according to the Internet research I did. (Some super-granola folk disagree with the garbage can and think everyone should use a three bin system but oh well, it's better than nothing.)

I used these directions. All you need is a garbage can with a lid, drill with a 1/4 in circle bit (or a nail and hammer), and a few bricks to raise it off the ground.
Once a week you are supposed to roll the can on the ground to mix up the compost. I already did this once and it was a lot easier than some of the reviewers online had said.

Here are some benefits of compost. I am excited about using less water for our garbage disposal, we are already noticing that we have less trash, and free dirt!

Compost is supposed to be ready in 4-6 weeks so, stay tuned for part 2. Speaking of the number 2, we are not composting our number 2 but google: "composting human waste" for some interesting reading material (for the bathroom, I guess).

3 comments:

  1. your title actually reminds me of another, even greater song...

    "It's a compost in a can! Compost in a can! You can do it, anywhere, it's a compost in a CAYEEAAN!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. That Presidents album was a staple in my music diet Freshmen year. It was a lovely album. Human waste can also be used to make electricity. I think San Antonio is doing this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike - Elmocize gave me 20 minutes of what I will call partial sanity today. Sam and Bella were rocking out to "Work out in a chair".

    Matthew - Makes sense to me. Everything is "bigger in Texas" after all. Sounds like some more good bathroom reading to do.

    ReplyDelete

What do you say?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails